Here are the posts for our January 2013 topic “Where Do Babies Come From?” Each of us had a unique path to tread to bringing our children home, and it will be interesting to see how we each plan to share the story. Both the “usual” paths, and the “scenic routes.”
Visit and comment at your leisure! It is NEVER too late to leave a comment!
Suggested Writing Prompts
- Have you thought about when your child(ren) might ask the “Where do babies come from”” question and what you might say?
- Do you plan to talk to them about ALI in general in an age-appropriate way at that time, or wait until they are older? When they ask?
- Have you thought about sharing your specific infertility/loss experience and treatments with your child(ren)? Why or why not?
- If you brought your child home through adoption, what will this process look like for you? Have you previously written on this topic?
- Do you consider the gender of your children to be important in what you share about your unique set of circumstances? Why or why not?
- How do imagine your thoughts on this topic might evolve over time?
- Do you have any tips or advice on how to make this topic (general reproduction and/or as it relates to the ALI journey) age-appropriate?
- Do you have any resources (links, books, podcasts) etc. that you could share in the comments to add to our Resources page?
- Allison of Allison’s Wonderland says “Mostly I ramble, but conclude that the most important thing when telling Henry the Story of Him is to reinforce how much my boy was wanted, and how loved he is” in her post, Having That Conversation.
- Lulu at The Wild Rumpus brings us “…thoughts about telling your son he was conceived in a petri dish, among other things” in her post, Made in a cup, like soup.
- Christine from Believing in June “…posted about how creating our daughter through IVF was a really special process for my husband and I, a process that brought us closer together and, we believe, makes Piper’s story all the more interesting!” in her post where my babies come from…
- Brittany at Infertile Mormon Mommy shares “Thoughts on what I will tell my kids when they finally ask “Where do babies come from?“
- Ms. Future PharmD from Mom PharmD lets us in on “The basics on what we’ve told the kid so far about where babies come from.”
- SRB of Little Chicken Nuggets explains that babies come out of your butt, obviously, in her post where do babies comes from?
- Josey from My Cheap Version of Therapy tells us “How to talk about EWCM with your daughter… err, someday” in her post What Makes a Baby.
- Courtney of All the Sun For You shares her policy of “No secrets – just honesty. Starting NOW” in her post Where Our Babies Come From.
- SLESE1014 at Mommyhood After Fertility Frustration tells us that “It wasn’t a stork…“
- April of R. Sativus says “Where our babies come from isn’t as important as why they’re here.” in her post Where Do Babies Come From?
- Keanne from Family Building With a Twist shares a post she wrote last year about her son, surrogacy, and “Telling Him How He Came to Be.“
- Jules from How I spend my Dash tells us that now she has something to think about in her post Where Do Babies Come From?
- Dresden from Creating Motherhood shares The Infertile Version of the “Where do babies come from?” question, including her personal story.
Did we forget you? Do you have a post you still want to share? Let us know in the comments below or contact us!
Do you have an idea for a future theme post topic? Let us know that too in the open thread!